Here is humanities-specific advice on career exploration, job-hunting, and making the transition from college to professional life:
- Careers for Humanities Majors: The Basics
- Resumes for Humanities Majors
- UIUC #thewayyousayit – help with phrasing points for your resume for some common jobs you might have had/have
- Action Verbs – a list of action words in five groups to help you find just the right word
- Cover Letter Template for Humanities Majors
- Networking for Humanities Majors
- Career Fairs for Humanities Majors
- FAQ: Research Park and Humanities Majors.
- Four Years to a Job: A Planning Timeline
- Small rooms for private phone interviews through on-line scheduler (off-line due to Covid-19)
- Humanities at Illinois (Learn more about what our campus has to offer you)
- Financial Literacy Badges (learn more about adulting). The goal of the Badges Program is to provide a structured option for expanding student’s financial skills and knowledge related to each one of the above financial topics or “financial core competencies”.
- Big Interview a free computer applications for Illinois students to practice interviewing.
News articles and blogs:
Inside Higher Ed, October 18, 2021, Navigating Graduate School: It’s All About the Process
American Association of University Women (AAUW), October 2021, Latinas and the Pay Gap
Wired, Sept 24, 2021, First-Generation College Grads Face More Hurdles in the Job Market
School of Humanities at UC Irvine, June16, 2021, What can I do with a humanities degree?
Washington Monthly, Sept/Oct 2021, The Secret Lives of English Majors: Unlike their STEM peers, Black and white humanities graduates earn about the same. How did that happen?
BBC, April 1, 2019, Why ‘worthless’ humanities degrees may set you up for life
Forbes, Aug 4, 2021, The Truth About Polywork: Desire Or Necessity?
NACE, Jan 11, 2021, PAID INTERNSHIPS MORE LIKELY FOR THOSE WHO VISIT THE CAREER CENTER
NACE, April 19 2021, THE ATTRIBUTES EMPLOYERS SEEK ON STUDENTS’ RESUMES
Entrepreneur, August 4, 2021, How TikTok Can Help You Supercharge Your Career
Harvard Business Review, May 26, 2021, It’s Time to Officially End Unpaid Internships
The Guardian, Sept 20, 2020, Humanities graduates are just as employable’: do the sciences really lead to more jobs?
Mental Floss, October 2020, Job Secrets (Multiple sections)
Vault, July 14, 2020, Salary Negotiating Tips for Remote Jobs
Forbes, April 1, 2020, Ten Ways to Launch a Successful Job Search amid coronavirus
Inside Higher Ed, March 24, 2020, At Home Networking Strategizes
CNBC, March 17, 2020, Coronavirus is Spurring on remote hiring. How to Nail Your Job Interview from Afar
Forbes, April 1, 2020, How to Network When while social distancing
PayScale, March 30, 2020, 7 Common Remote Work Mistakes, and How to Recover
Forbes, Dec 10, 2019, No, Humanities Degrees Don’t Mean Low Salaries
Washington Post, Oct 19, 2019, The world’s top economists just made the case for why we still need English majors
The Centennial Heights, Sept 30, 2019, Both Humanities and STEM Majors are Necessary and Valid
Inside Big Data, Sept 12, 2019, Models for Thinking: An Example of Why Data Sciences Increasingly Need the Humanities
US News and World Report, Sept 24, 2018, Your College Major Does Not Define Your Career