Goodheart-Willcox is a textbook publisher in Tinley Park, Illinois. The following position is available for Winter Break. See the bottom of the position description for instructions on how to apply.
POSITION: Publishing Intern
REPORTS TO: Editorial Supervisor and/or Digital Media Supervisor
DIRECT REPORTS: None
POSITION STATUS: Nonexempt
PREPARED BY: Digital Media Supervisor
PREPARED ON: February 13, 2019
The scope of this position is to assist the editorial and digital media teams in any way that facilitates the development of G-W printed and digital products. As a publishing intern, you will work and learn day-to-day publishing tasks and be part of a team environment.
- Assist with calling reviewers and back-end administration processes both internal and external ensuring that reviewers are paid and have a pleasant experience with Goodheart-Willcox.
- Uses spreadsheets and databases to track administrative and editorial activities.
- Assist with Internet-based photo research, as needed, and maintains digital photo files.
- Perform basic copyediting and proofreading as needed in a digital environment.
- Perform other general clerical administrative responsibilities.
- Prepare digital manuscript copy and digital art for production.
- Assist with quality control testing of digital products across operating systems, browsers, and mobile devices.
- Assist with quality control of eBook production and accuracy of eBook content.
- Use Adobe Reader to quality control PDF form fields and accessibility text.
- Use Adobe LiveCycle to create PDF based form fields.
- Help create and correct close captioning scripts for videos.
- Perform miscellaneous task such as filing, photocopying, scanning and cleaning, creating art sheets, and formatting test questions.
- All other duties as instructed or assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- 3.2 GPA or above.
- Able to participate in a twelve-week internship session.
- Work on site in Tinley Park, IL.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with other Goodheart-Willcox employees in order to participate in meetings and employee training sessions.
- Ability to collaborate actively with others in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must be highly organized, efficient, and a hard worker.
- A professional demeanor is essential.
- Some related experience and / or general office experience preferred.
- Must be proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Windows, Word, and PowerPoint. Digital media and publishing programs are a plus.
- Must be proficient in use of Internet for research.
- Must sit for up to four consecutive hours at a time throughout an eight-hour workday.
- Must view high-resolution computer monitor up to four consecutive hours at a time throughout an eight-hour workday.
- Must be able to listen to audio content on headphones for up to four consecutive hours at a time throughout an eight-hour workday.
- Must have the manual dexterity to operate a computer key board, telephone, copy machine and other standard office equipment.
$12/hr. To apply email your resume to Deirdra Coleman, Human Resources Generalist, firstname.lastname@example.org