Internships and part-time or summer jobs can help you gain experience, explore your options, and develop skills. (click here)
Here are lists and links to get you started. Many of these positions we list are on Handshake. Log in to Handshake before you start clicking so that you will be taken directly to those job postings. On the right-hand side bar, you’ll see a sampling of the most recent full-time openings for humanities majors from Handshake. Handshake is your source of workshops, career fairs and other career resources.
These three links will connect you to current job postings and are pooled from multiple job boards (listed below these links).
- Part-Time Jobs and Internships here in Champaign-Urbana
- Internships (most are NOT local)
- Job Postings (post-graduation)
Find Additional Opportunities on Campus
Handshake @ Illinois. Log in with your NetID and campus password. You don’t need to complete your profile to use the site. Put “Champaign” in the location bar to find local part-time positions, see campus or virtual events, search career fairs, and so much more.
The Virtual Job Board Local part-time job listings (including work-study), maintained by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Office of Volunteer Programs Check out their information sheets on organizations grouped by focus area.
WE CU: COMMUNITY ENGAGED SCHOLARS Empowering students to meet the needs of the Champaign-Urbana community
Campus Paraprofessional Programs
- University Housing Paraprofessional Employment
- Counseling Center Paraprofessional Program
- The Career Center’s paraprofessional program
Find Full-Time Jobs/Internships
- Handshake. Our Campus career services application.
- Idealist. An excellent source for positions with nonprofit organizations.
- Support-Driven. Jobs in tech for non-tech people.
- Chegg Internships. A great site for looking for humanities internships.
- US government job board or State of Illinois Job Board
- GoAbroad, Programs for teaching abroad
- ZipRecruiter and Salary Information Guide
- Peace Corp and AmeriCorps, short-term experiences to help tack challenges locally and globally
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Illinois hires recent college grads for a variety of administrative, students services, and operations roles
- A list of Not-for-profit job boards
Job Boards and Humanities Associations by area of interest
Connecting to jobs through Associations & Societies which appeal to your interests/field of study: History, Education/teaching, Museums, English/communications/creative writing, Linguistics, Art History, Spanish Language & Cultures, Women & Gender Studies, Classics, Philosophy, Religion, African-American Studies, Germanic Studies, General Language Studies, Latina/Latino, Slavic Studies, Government & more general sites
On-line How-to & Career Exploration Videos
These pages have many videos to assist you with your career explorations, resumes, cover letters, negotiations, and so much more. Career exploration assessments from the US Labor Department (skills, interest, and more) or log on to My Next Move.
Career Closet is temporary closed due to Covid-19.
HPRC has two private interview rooms for those Humanities students in need of quiet place for phone or on-line interviews. To reserve one of our rooms complete the on-line scheduling form at least three business days in advance.
Places Research Employers
- Database to conduct some research on companies you are applying to/interviewing with through the U of I Library database collection, Lexis Nexis Corporate Affiliations Group. Another link can be used for Not for Profit research is at Candid. PayScale, ZipRecruiter Salary Information, or Salary.com for salary research and their negotiation guide. Negotiation guide from American Association of University Women various guides/courses on how to be empowered. Quick reference on jobs and salaries as of Oct 2020. The US Labor Department has a salary list, Salary Finder.
International Employment Assistance
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: looking for jobs or internships you might look at these options: OPT or CPT. For a list of internationally friendly US companies, click here. For more information about policies around your visa keep current with information from ISSS. For other general resources, go to the Handshake @ Illinois Library.
- Articles and information for International Students
. Links to Global postings and other information