This assignment requires you to find three jobs that you COULD apply for and to pick one for which you practice the job application process, which starts with a careful analysis of the job ad that you’re responding to.
First, click through this slide deck.
You can find the assignment on slide 33, and a list of job boards to check out on slide 34.
Questions, comments, reflections, concerns? Please email email@example.com
Here’s what you need to do to complete the assignment:
- Find THREE jobs (seniors) or internships (juniors) that you could imagine applying for in the next six months. Copy and past the full text of all three into a document (a URL is insufficient). (see next slide for places to look)
- Identify the ONE job that interests you most, and analyze it, as described in this presentation (slides 10 – 12):
- Create a word-bank of repeated or emphasized terms.
- Make note of any usual, striking, or significant phrases.
- Identify any jargon or terms of art that you don’t recognize and look them up.
- Locate the list of requirements and make a chart with it (slides 27 – 29). If your internship ad doesn’t have a list, try to invent your own and use that (slide 31)
- Combine the three job ads, your analysis, and your chart into a single document and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.