|   College of Liberal Arts & Sciences

All the Reasons Why You, a Senior in the Humanities, Are Avoiding the Humanities Professional Resource Center

So many reasons, SO MANY REASONS, not to come talk to us before you graduate. RIGHT???

For example:

“I don’t really know what I want to do.”

Yeah. We hear this one a lot. While you figure it out, we can probably give you a few ideas about how to start earning a living and explore some possible directions.

“I don’t want a corporate job.”  

That’s fine. There are lots of jobs that don’t fit that descriptor. We can have a conversation about the job you DO want, and help you figure out how to get it. Our duty is to our students and the land-grant mission of this public institution, not any corporate overlords.

“I’ll figure it out after graduation.” 

We’ll still be here after you graduate, but those conversations will be easier if you lay some groundwork ahead of time.

“I’m independently wealthy and don’t need to work.”

AWESOME! Click here.

“I’ve been accepted to grad school.”

Congratulations!

“I’ve already screwed everything up irrevocably — no internship, no job experience, no research, no extracurriculars. Why bother?”

You’ve lived your life, and that’s all you have to do, as far as we’re concerned. You’ll go on living your life after you graduate, and we’re here to help you get the full value of the degree you’re earning. Let us do that.

“I’ve got a good GPA — that’s all I need to get a good job, right?”

A good GPA is helpful, but most employers are looking for more than a diploma and a number. Let us help you translate your hard work into terms that employers will recognize.

“I’ve got a terrible GPA. No one is going to hire me, so I might as well become one of those baristas with a BA everyone talks about.”

Yeah…no. You have choices, no matter what your GPA is (and many employers won’t even ask). Let us help you explore your options.

“I don’t even know what kind of jobs people get with my degree.”

We do. That’s why they’re paying us to talk to you here in Greg Hall 105. So come have that conversation.

“Pretty sure I’ve got this — I had a couple of interviews last week and I’ve got more coming up.”

Way to go!  We’re here to help with interview prep, and we have space for phone/Skype interviews if you need a quiet place to have those conversations. Julie is well-versed in the art of salary negotiations and she’d be happy to help you when things get to that stage.

Come talk to us. We have another gathering for seniors scheduled for March 30 at 4pm in 105 Greg Hall, and we’re happy to talk to you one-on-one before then. You can come to our drop-in hours without an appointment (MWF 9:30 – 11:30. TuTh 2 – 4) or you can schedule an appointment via Handshake or by emailing humanitiesprc@illinois.edu.